Hans Presentation & Floppix

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:52:21 -0700

Thanks Hans for a great presentation! I arrived a little late so missed your
descriptions of the first 50 distros. <g>

FLOPPIX http://www.floppix.com

Floppix is designed as a teaching distro. Based on Debian it loads into RAM from
two floppies (You can download the floppy images from the site) and gives you a
very useable command line Linux complete with multi-user support, Internet
connection and man pages.

The website has a very good tutorial that teaches the basic commands, etc. which
mades it ideal for classroom use.

Since Floppix loads only into RAM and does not recognise any hard drive on your
machine, a newbie can experiment with total confidence that they won't screw up
their system. If (or should I say when) they get totally confused, just remove the
floppy reboot and they are back in the "lovin" arms of Bill.

Dennis Kibbe