DSL Provider

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:39:54 -0700

I just switched from Qwest to GetNet.  They run the modem in Briged mode and assign static IPs, so you'd probably want a little firewall
of some kind.  I purchased a SOHOware NBG800, which is about the size of a 2-high padded CD carrying case.  It does port forwarding, has
a "DMZ" mode for additional IPs, has some security stuff inside that can alert you if somebody is trying to hack into your ports, and
some other cool features.  It plugs into the DSL modem and provides 4 auto-sense 10/100 10-BaseT plugs for a LAN.  Not a bad deal for
$85 -- heck, I've seen passive 4-port hubs that cost more than that!

WARNING: one of the guys at GetNet told me that Qwest just handed over their residential DSL accounts to MSN on the 1st.  Even though
you'd be switching on the same physical phone line, switching now from MSN to anybody else will cost you $100 setup fee to get back onto
Qwest's books!  I switched just after Xmas after getting another one of those stupid reminders from Qwest "encouraging" me to switch to
MSN; I'm glad I didn't wait.

-David