[Fwd: [LeapList]The "New UCITA" appears to be worse]

Technomage plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:47:33 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [LeapList]The "New UCITA" appears to be worse
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:18:46 -0500
From: Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
To: leaplist@lists.leap-cf.org

Hi all,

The "New UCITA" appears to be worse than the old. It prevents genuine
Open
Source authors from waiving warranty liability to individual consumers,
while
allowing Microsoft to waive warranty liability for their free beer
software
to businesses.

I might change the license on my 3 GPL projects to ban use in UCITA
states,
and to define the litigation venue to Orlando, FL.

The prohibition on reverse engineering is eased just slightly, but not
enough
to make Open Source interoperation legal.

There are many other noxious provisions. I get this information from a
public
email from Cem Kaner at:

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200112/msg00255.html

FIGHT UCITA!!!