Problem ripping w/ scsi cdrom

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:40:16 -0700

Xmas and a family "rolling upgrade" find me trying to get comfortable on
a new box (RH 7.2).  I've currently got a scsi cdrom and it's unable to
rip from an audio CD.  The problem appears to be "/dev/scd0 is not a
cooked ioctl CDROM"

Any suggestions (esp. explicit handholding) would be appreciated.  If I
have to I can swap in an IDE drive, but I'd like to avoid it.

Here's an abbreviated list of what I get from 'grip -v'

[steve@gemini steve]$ grip -v
Checking for a new disc
Drive status is 4
audio status is 21
Drive status is 4
audio status is 21
CDStat found a disc, checking tracks
We have a valid disc!
Drive status is 4
audio status is 21
... <bunch of 4, 21 deleted>
In RipNextTrack
First checked track is 1
Ripping away!
Ripping track 1 to
/home/steve/mp3/frank_zappa/have_i_offended_someone/bobby_brown_goes_down.wav
Calling CDPRip
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
/dev/scd0
Rip finished
Drive status is 4
audio status is 21