NT file system mounting

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:37:16 -0700

vfat is for fat32 and fat16 partitions with long filename support, NTFS is
neither of those.  There is a read-only NTFS fs module for kernels.  Looks like
it isn't by default built for kernels, so you will have to build it yourself.

uname -a    <-- shows you what kernel you are currently running

download that version if all you want to do is add the ntfs module.  Once
downloaded, uncompress it in /usr/src.  This will create the directory
/usr/src/linux

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

scroll down to File systems
scroll through it till you find "< > NTFS file system support (read only)"
hit the spacebar to change it to "<M> NTFS file system support (read only)"

Now exit out and save your configuration.  Then all you should have to do is
"make modules && make modules_install"

That should build and install the NTFS module (someone please correct me if I
have this wrong).

now:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda4 /mnt/msd/c

or: