Microsoft Offering free seminar on how to compete withLinux

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:17:14 -0700

First of all, notice that they have already implied the primary means -- select software to use that doesn't run under Linux.

Second, notice that they're targeting people who are "confused about how to compete against Linux".  Whew... thought for a minute there
they had something...  Because, they're NOT targeting people who are "confused about what it takes to to offer your customer/clients the
most robust, secure, stable operating environment available today"!  IOW, this seminar could be entitled, "How to effectively lie to
your clients to save our ass and keep them coming back to you for more of our crummy tools"

-David

ps: I have been playing with a little server at my house for a few weeks.  Within five minutes of opening up port 80, I start getting
banged with queries from a system infected with either CodeRed or Nimda -- it rotates through a dozen ways of trying to locate a file
named '.../system/cmd.exe'.  A tracert on the ip leads it back to ... a Qwest mail server named (obviously enough) 'mail' that's sitting
behind a Qwest name server!  I just switched from Qwest to GetNet effective yesterday and the line is now VERY QUIET.  sweet!  It took a
while (several hours) to actually get the circuit up, and the GetNet guys were very patient and helpful.  Apparently, there was a hitch
on Qwest's end.