Almost There!!!!!

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:46:59 -0700

Since your question seems to focus only on how to get connected via the Qwest
Megabit DSL, I'll just try and do that here.

Qwest uses DHCP to assign IPs and DNS entries.  So when setting up the NIC, just
have it use DHCP, then you don't need to worry about knowing those settings.

Now that the system itself is up and running you shouldn't have to reboot when
making changes to your network config, so...  let's try a few commands.  What is
the output of:

ifconfig

If you see eth0 and your system only has one NIC, then it is coming up.  Since
Mandrake is based off RedHat you should be able to run netconf to configure the
nic, or look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for a file called ifcfg-eth0.  As
root open that file up and see what is inside.  For me it looks like:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

Before making changes to that file turn the interface off by issuing:

ifdown eth0

then make the changes and bring it back up:

ifup eth0

then run ifconfig and see if it came up.