Amanda Tape Backup

K.L.Smith plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:52:01 -0700

I sure hope someone is using Amanda to do tape backups.  I've
searched Google, read the man pages, and looked through all the
docs to no avail.

I have the following configuration:

O/S:            Debian 2.2 (potato)
Amanda:     amanda-client amanda-server amanda-common from
Debian.
Client          SambaTest
Server:        calvin
tapedir        /tbu

The client has the base Debian install, samba, dump,
amanda-common, and
amanda-client.

The server has the base Debian install,.amanda-common, and amanda
server

When I run AmCheck it returns no errors. When I run AmDump and
look at /tbu
I can see a file being written to.  The Client has about 3.8Gig
total on
it's disk however the file in /tbu reaches a size of about 141MB
then stops. It takes another 10 minutes or so for the prompt to
appear on the server.  The tape never functions.

The log is
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
START planner date 20020102
INFO planner Adding new disk SambaTest.stgregoryschool.net:hda1.
START driver date 20020102
START taper datestamp 20020102 label DAY00 tape 0
FINISH planner date 20020102
STATS driver startup time 50.501
FAIL dumper SambaTest.stgregoryschool.net hda1 0 [data timeout]
  sendbackup: start [SambaTest.stgregoryschool.net:hda1 level 0]
  sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc
|/sbin/restore -f... -
  sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
  sendbackup: info end
  |   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jan  2 08:44:36 2002
  |   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  |   DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda1 (/) to standard output
  |   DUMP: Label: none
  |   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  |   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  |   DUMP: estimated 3986989 tape blocks.
  |   DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Wed Jan  2 08:47:20 2002
  |   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  |   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
INFO taper tape DAY00 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
FINISH driver date 20020102 time 2227.357

I'm at a total loss.

Any help greatly appreciated.

In Peace,
Keith Smith