Sequoia January Meeting

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:55:44 -0700 (MST)

Am 01. Jan, 2002 schwätzte Bob George so:

> Hmm. I'd be game for doing a future session on system recovery using a
> couple of these tools. A colleague just used LNX-BBC to salvage files off of
> a Win2K notebook that had gone bad (OK, it was born that way, but you get
> the idea :). I knew we were getting studly when we began using ssh to pipe
> files to tar running on a remote box with no other file sharing. I need to
> try to remember the details. It was pretty intense, and highly educational.

Sounds like a great topic.

> We've also convinced the guys at work to save $75K or so on NAI Sniffer
> software and use Ethereal on LNX-BBC instead. They were amazed when I was
> able to walk up to pretty much any desktop, boot that CD, set up the network
> and launch X, all without touching the hard disk. Ethereal meets 95% of the
> needs they have for troubleshooting (they can't tell me what the other 5%
> is), and mtr and the other tools just blew them away.

Demoing the 'sniffer' would also be great :). That's a very important
networking/sys_adm tool.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,