Mounting CDROM

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:06:01 -0700

Tom Achtenberg wrote:

>I did update the kernal as soon as I finished the installation.  The CD still
>will not mount.  Last time was I had an audio cd in the drive.  This time I
>had one of the distro disks in.
>
>On Tuesday 01 January 2002 04:41 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Tom Achtenberg wrote:
>>
>>>Whenever I try to mount the CDROM I get the error message /dev/cdrom not
>>>a valid block device.  I have a good data cd in the drive.
>>>
>>---
>>We covered this one the last time that you installed RH 7.2 - it's a bug
>>in the original distro.
>>
>>update to 2.4.9-7 kernel is best solution
>>
>>modprobe /dev/cdrom
>>depmod -a
>>
>>Craig

OK - did you update the kernel? by default, the up2date-gui will
probably skip kernel updates.  Did you boot the new kernel? Is grub
configured to use the new kernel?

Anyway, you should be able to mount cd's after doing the above two
commands. The kernel update is recommended for a number of reasons
including mounting ide cd-roms

Craig