Samba question

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 06:33:28 -0700

The name cx267762-k is left over from when the pc was directly connected to cox.  Now I have a firewall/gateway/router, and haven't renamed the system yet.  (I did, however, stop paying cox for multiple IPs ;)).

Anyway, even though I can't ping cx267762-k, Samba still connects, presumably through netbios....

Here is a better terminal print:

[root@devlap1 /root]# mount -t smbfs -o username=rgc //192.168.1.200/download /mnt/bobpc
session request to 192.168.1.200 failed
session request to *SMBSERVER failed
SMB connection failed
[root@devlap1 /root]# ping cx267762-k
ping: unknown host cx267762-k
[root@devlap1 /root]# mount -t smbfs -o username=rgc //cx267762-k/download /mnt/bobpc
Password:
[root@devlap1 /root]#

and then it magically works...Oh well, I was just amazed that Samba was unable to resolve through ip.  BTW I tried the following as you suggested and it also works:

[root@devlap1 /root]# umount /mnt/bobpc
[root@devlap1 /root]# mount -t smbfs -o username=rgc,ip=192.168.1.200 //cx267762-k/download /mnt/bobpc
Password:
[root@devlap1 /root]#

Thanks for the /etc/fstab/ stuff...I am going to add it now..

Bob