Sequoia January Meeting

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:55:10 -0700

"der.hans" <PLUGd@lufthans.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Even just a listing of others ( especially security-oriented distro )
would
> be cool.

Hmm. I'd be game for doing a future session on system recovery using a
couple of these tools. A colleague just used LNX-BBC to salvage files off of
a Win2K notebook that had gone bad (OK, it was born that way, but you get
the idea :). I knew we were getting studly when we began using ssh to pipe
files to tar running on a remote box with no other file sharing. I need to
try to remember the details. It was pretty intense, and highly educational.

We've also convinced the guys at work to save $75K or so on NAI Sniffer
software and use Ethereal on LNX-BBC instead. They were amazed when I was
able to walk up to pretty much any desktop, boot that CD, set up the network
and launch X, all without touching the hard disk. Ethereal meets 95% of the
needs they have for troubleshooting (they can't tell me what the other 5%
is), and mtr and the other tools just blew them away.

- Bob