Samba question

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:49:10 -0700

Bob Cober wrote:

> I had troubles getting Samba to map to a Win98 share.
>
> The command I used was:
>
> [root@devlap1 /root]# mount -t smbfs -o username=rgc //192.168.1.200/downloads /mnt/bobpc
> session request to 192.168.1.200 failed
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed
> SMB connection failed
>
> Then I used:
> [root@devlap1 /root]# mount -t smbfs -o username=rgc //cx267762-k/download /mnt/bobpc
>
> and it worked.
>
> My question is:
> Why didn't the IP address work, while the netbios name did?  I can connect from other win machines using the IP address instead of the netbios name.
>
> Second question:
> If I want to mount this share automatically, can I put it it /etc/fstab?

----
try to ping cx267762-k, is that the same ip address when your computer
'pings' it? That sounds suspicously like a COX id that would be on the
public internet and not on the local lan.

as for entries in /etc/fstab - the following is what I use on one of my
boxes:
//SERVER_NAME/SHARE_NAME  /mnt/windows  smbfs
username=Administrator,gid=503,password=*****,user,uid=504  0  0

Craig