Walmart.com ditches the OS in new PCs

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:34:58 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Craig White on 2/22/2002 17:51 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 10:15, Matt Alexander wrote:
\_ > Ideally, WalMart would have several boxed operating systems on a shelf in
\_ > plain view next to the computers.  There should be a big sign saying,
\_ > "Don't forget to add your own operating system!"  They could have several
\_ > Linux distros, WindowsME, WindowsXP, and FreeBSD, for example.
\_ > ~M
\_ ----
\_ yeah but here's the rub - Microsoft is so far ahead of this it isn't
\_ funny. The cost for having it pre-installed is significantly less than
\_ buying a retail pack of an MS OS.

On the other hand, if you buy a package of M$ license-only-ware, you
actually *have* install media...unlike HPs ("you want a
recovery/install disk? mwahahaha (see /.)) and other vendors
recovery-only-ware.

Me, if I were to have a choice between getting recovery-only-ware and
install-ware, I know what I'd get, even if there was a premium price.

But that's me.  YMMV.

David