Broadband provider

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:51:33 -0700

OK, help me out here.  What does CLEC and ILEC stand for?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kloian" <john@opnix.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Broadband provider

I firmly believe in deregulation, but the boom in the CLEC market and
their practices seem to have been a death sentence.  Its really funny,
take a voice T-1 for example.  Qwest is forced by the federal tariffs and
the Arizona Corporation commission to sell it at a certain price, however
MCI and AT&T or any other CLEC can sell it for upto 35% less than the
ILEC and they do all the time.  Now granted the CLEC losses money on every
deal, but they figured they get vertical sales from the customer.  this
has been going on for some time.  Plus the CLEC's by billions of dollar of
service from each other.  this looks good on the books, but the minute one
decalres bankruptcy everyone suffers as a result.  this is what we are
seeing happen right now.  When Global Crossing declared bankruptcy they
force XO to right off 7.35 billion on their books, obviously that hurt and
is one of the reasons XO is about to file chapter 11.

In the end this shakedown will probably be a good thing, but we'll more
than likely be stuck with one ILEC until some new players pop up.
Hopefully the business practices will change slightly.

*/
/
/
/  John Kloian III                                    VP Network Operations
/
/  Opnix, Inc.                                             http://opnix.com
/
/
/
/                     .Innovating Internet Intelligence.
/
/
/
*/

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Digital Wokan wrote:

>Some days you get the feeling breaking up Ma Bell was a pointless
>excersize.  We'll get back to having only one provider for land lines,
>but with wireless being what it is, that provider will claim they have
>competition to avoid regulation and then promptly proceed to rape its
>customers.  (Kinda like a software company I know up in Redmond.)
>
>John Kloian wrote:
>>
>> It is not official but the rumor is out there.  There was a special
>> session of the shareholders this afternoon.  Some insiders I know
>> mentioned that there was going to be a motion to ask Joe Nochio to step
>> down and then they were going to announce the impending bankruptcy.  From
>> what I can gather if they do go ahead with the filing they will allegedy
>> sell off their 14 state ILEC business to someone and chapter 11 the rest
>> of the operation.  (SBC seems like the most likely candidate for
purchase,
>> but who can tell)
>>
>> Again, none of this is official in any way, but people who would be in a
>> position to know have passed this information along.  I have also heard
>> the same things from other sources over the past week.

*/
/
>> /  John Kloian III                                    VP Network
Operations  /
http://opnix.com  /
/
>> /                     .Innovating Internet Intelligence.
/
>> /
/

*/