Walmart.com ditches the OS in new PCs

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:51:36 -0700

And far fewer people owned or knew how to use them.  At my last job one of the
other employees had an ad from 1990 for a 386sx, brand new the price was $9000.
Now systems cost only $400-500 for the desktop with an OS.  Prices aren't just
set based on cost to print the media.  Software developers had to make their pay
off fewer people.