V92 Modem

charlie bullen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:34:05 -0700

Hi I have an external  V92 modem that I bought from Compusa that I use either
on an e-smith server or on my Suse 7.3 box. It worked fine with my pervious
internet provder on both boxes, but for the time being I am using my
girlfriends earthlink account. This modem will not connect. This is not a
problem if I am on my suse box as it has another modem that connects fine,
but if both she and I want to be online simultaneously, I need to use the
e-smith server.

I think that what I need to do is to come up with an initialization string
that sets the modem to connect at v90 instead of trying v92. I've searched
the website of the manfacturer, which I found by the FCC ID number of the
modem but found nothing.

Neither Compusa or earthlink can give me any help as the box says windows
compatble, although it worked fine before.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Charlie