Broadband provider

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:57:06 -0500

Hi Mark,

I would suggest a cost-benefits analysis of an in-house
versus outsourced data center.  I worked for a web hosting
company and by bringing the boxes in-house, we save $10K
per month (after paying my salary, electricity, and
bandwidth).  This was for 50 servers.

My side business can no way afford connectivity of any
kind, so I outsource.  Low volume sites (500MB transfer
per month and < 5MB of content) costs me $1 per month.
Bigger sites cost me $5/month, and includes 5GB of transfer.

A coworker has a T1 in his house, it costs $375/month,
and he hosts five boxes.  I have a DS3 and it costs me
$5/month.  He pays $25 more in electricity/month than I
do.  He also has full control over the servers.

The last time I checked (18 months ago), routing a
fractional T3 (15mbit) cost about $8K to set up and about
$6K/month plus local loop charges.  I know prices have
fallen since then.

YMMV.

I am interested in the CBA, if you can share that.

George