Cat5 Wiring

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:01:36 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Tom Achtenberg on 2/21/2002 06:08 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ While I agree one should only use a licensed contractor for most work, I do
\_ not believe state law requires all work be done by licensed contractors.
\_ For your own safety that's what you should use though.

I believe there was a discussion on AZIPA within the last year that
beat this to death.  Visit them for details/discussion.

IANAL, but I believe the summary goes like:

* handyman -- no license -- residential, NOT for major (any?) profit, and
       can't be done often: eg you can wire your house and maybe your
       mom's but that's about it.

* professional -- license -- knows about building codes, wiring
       practices, and you (the business) can point the fickle legal
       finger of fate onwards if wiring is determined to be the
       reason why a fire breached a firewall.  Check with contracting
       board for complaints, BBB, etc.

* If you're a business, get somebody with a license, bonds, and a good
       reputation.

YMMV.

David