accessing remote win2k box with smbclient

Hunter Kreie plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:17:23 -0700

The client machine in this case is a Rackspace Linux box. As an attempt at
crude database integration, I'm trying to access files from our in-house
win2k server in Chandler. Our WAN implementation is Qwest DSL. The Cisco 675
router has NAT enabled and I've
forwarded ports 137-139 to the server with the following cbos commands:

  cbos# set nat ent add 10.0.0.2 137
  cbos# set nat ent add 10.0.0.2 138
  cbos# set nat ent add 10.0.0.2 139

from the unix command line:

$ smbclient //fbsrv1/public -I $ipaddress
added interface ip=207.71.8.57 bcast=207.71.8.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to FBSRV1 failed (Not listening on called name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening on called name)
$

and...

$ nmblookup -A $ipaddress
Looking up status of $ipaddress
        FBSRV1          <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        FBSRV1          <be> -         M <ACTIVE>
        FBADMIN         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>

Apparently the packets are being forwarded by the router or I'd have
received "Connection to FBSRV1 failed." But this is all the further I get.

Is this a client side or server side problem? I don't have the facilities to
attempt connecting to the win2k server from a unix box locally.

I am also open to alternative means of mounting the in-house server data on
the Linux box if you have any good ideas. Your expertise is appreciated.
Thank you.

Hunter Kreie
hunter@brownies.com