Debian install problems-solved

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:10:14 -0700

Hi,

Thanks for everyones help.

There were several things that were weird. First the bad
memory(suggestion from a previous message). Second, the hard drive was
master and the cdrom slave but the harddrive was not jumpered correctly.
I put them both as master which made things much faster anyway but still
didn't fix the boot problem.

Thanks to the suggestion/pointer below. Third, after reading all about
the BIOS/Linux/IDE size and recognician and interactions(DISK HOW-TO
etc), I found two settings in BIOS that I changed. I used the BIOS for
'HDD Detection' and put the drive in LBA mode which I assume is the same
as the lba32 line in lilo.conf. This turned the sizing to 1023/64/63
which matches what linux wants. Previously...

hda: ST32140A ATA Disk
ide0 at Ox1f0-0x1f7 0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ST32140A 2015m x/128kb Cache CHS=4095/16/163 *
Partition check
hda: [PTBL][1023/64/63] hda1 hda2:**

* old setting
** does not match what linux wants
This whole thing apparently is the 1024 block? problem for 2.1GB hard
drives.

The second setting was to set the
IDE BLOCK MODE to ENABLED.

Don't really get what was going on exactly but this is what I found.

Eric