Dual monitors question

Lowell Hamilton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
18 Feb 2002 08:23:04 -0500

On my play box I have a GeForcePro2 AGP and a PCI Matrox G200PCI - on my
production box I have a dual-head Matrox G450 agp and another one PCI
(only using 1 head from the 2nd though).

Yes you can control the resolutions independently - you can have
independent placement, color depth, and resolutions on each screen ...
you can even ctrlalt+ and ctrlalt- individual screens.  My production
box has 2 19" screens at 1240x1024, screen 2 rightof screen 1 and a 15"
screen at 1024x768 above screen1 (for those spiffy xmms plugins).

For your second card, go brand name since a lot of generic cards don't
know how to coexist with other cards on your system.  Matrox and ATI are
good choices and you can get a G200PCI for around $25 and it's pretty
quick in X.

Careful though, once you go multi monitor, it hurts to go back =)

Lowell

--
: Lowell Hamilton     syz@b r o k e n - b i t . c o m :
: Linux  OpenBSD  IDS/firewall  Security  QMail  Perl :