Big, fast disk toys

Mike Butash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:32:45 -0700

Here's a couple of articles comparing the Adaptec ide raid, 3ware Escalade,
and the Promise SX6000.

Part one - http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/raid-roundup/

Part deux - http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/raid-roundup-2/

	I'm currently using a promise sx6000 in a 2k server box for my dc in raid 5
with 4 drives, pretty solid once i got past a few initial issues, but I
don't have much other hardware like it that I can compare to.  These
articles do a nice job of comparing I/O rates and performance between them
all.  Enjoy.

-mbutash

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of foodog
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 1:41 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Big, fast disk toys

Kevin Brown wrote:

> Of course using Raid0 gets you no data protection :) .
>
> Didn't Slashdot have a pointer a few months ago on building a TB storage
server
> for under $5K?  Sounds like an interesting idea for a multimedia box.
Don't

Do you have a link to that TB storage server article?  There were a
couple of Linux-based SAN projects going awhile back but the ones I read
about have gone dormant. You can never have too many bottomless storage
pits :-)

> know what else would need 4 or more 100GB drives (or even 2 or more)
unless you
> are recording whole TV show seasons, movies, mp3s, ogg vorbises, etc...

Swarms of users, mostly. In our case it'll almost model a gargantuan
Netware 5.1 server that needs a software  upgrade.  It routinely has 450
- 500 users logged in, and somewhere around 3 million files.  We need to
bring up "Native File Access for Macintosh" by either a directory
services upgrade (NDS 7 to eDirectory), or take it to Netware 6.  The
server has about 450GB online (at RAID 5), but it's not all in use.

Steve