Debian install problems

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:55:21 -0700

> Is this weird that the partition check shows a different set of numbers,
> 1023/64/63?

Yes. How old is this BIOS anyways? Pre 1996?  It might be that this system is so old, that it will never boot off the CDROM.

Im just guessing here, but I think we are still having floppy issues. I cant explain why you were not able to read the CDROM using dd, but I dont think you were going to be able to get as far as you did without a working CDROM. The floppy is a different matter.

If you have another, CDROM, bootable machine available, the path of least resistance might be to install the drive in a CDROM bootable machine, and then switch the hard drive. Yea, I know, not really removable media, but it will get you to a running system, and we can diag any CDROM or Floppy issues once you have a running system.

Im also kinda wondering at this point if you are not having CPU or Memory issues. Given that you cant boot off the CDROM, figuring this out would also be easier with a bootable HD.

Good Luck.

Bob.