Debian install problems

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:21:16 -0700

Eric:

I think your problems might be more hardware than software. I think your IDE hard drive, or perhaps the CDROM drive, is suspect.

The first thing I would do is boot off the rescue floppy and see if I can read the hard disk and CD-ROM without issue.

1) boot off the rescue floppy and get to a root shell prompt.....
2) Read the entire hard disk (this will take quite a while, depending upon the size of the drive):
     dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=64k
3) dd will either read the entire hard disk without issue, or will barf with an I/O error.
4) do the same for the CD-ROM drive. Put in a cd, DONT MOUNT IT, and repeat number 2, just with "if=/dev/hdc", or hdb, or whereever your drive is.

Its also possible that your floppy set is bad. Floppys are notoriously poor media. You may want to try recreating them.

I also think there is a BIOS upgrade to permit booting off the CDROM drive. This would be your best choice, if possible, as CDROM is much more reliable.

Bob.