Linux bloating.

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:46:23 -0600 (CST)

Language is such a dangerous thing....

The title was "Linux bloating".  This is complete heresy.  I can still
install a working linux system on a floppy disk.  What the title should
say is Linux Distros Getting Bloated.

It used to be that the distro's had custom installers where you choose
what you want, many of them are moving towards options of 'laptop',
'desktop', 'server' and install the WORLD on you.

In Debian I just do a base install no frills no nothing, then apt-get
items as I need them.  Seems to work pretty well.  Red Hat used to have
custom (dont know if they still do), but if so use it and only select what
you KNOW you use.

-Derek