DEC ethernet card configuring

alandd@mindspring.com plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:51:19 -0500

A small $.02 from me.

I have put together my own firewall computer several times, trying out various firewall distros and setups.  Almost all of them that I tried did not do well when both of the NICs were the same brand and model.  And, many of the distros or setups I tried recommened that different model NICs be used.  By using different NICs that require different drivers, the firewall setup seemed "less confused" about stuff.

Now, I was using ISA NICs.  If you are using PCI, you might not have such problems.  YMMV.

Alan

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Dan Aldrich daldrich@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:13:03 -0500
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: DEC ethernet card configuring

I'm configuring an older system as a firewall using a spare set of DE201 cards. Is there recommended settings for multiple cards? With just one card you can use the defaults most of the time but was wondering if there are standards for how the cards should populate memory and irq settings.

Thanks,
-d