Mensan seeks work

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:10:17 -0700

Dr. Ghastly wrote

> Also, where I work, they FORCE you to get certification. They make you get
> certified in EVERYTHING. At least they pay for it.

Why on earth would they want you to certify *after* the hire.  The entire
point of a cert is to provide some gurantee of minimal competence.  You don't
go through a cert process to become competent.  You don't even learn that
much from it.

A cert makes it unlikely the certification holder is out-and-out incompetent.
 If a certification were sufficient to demonstrate competence and ability we
wouldn't make lawyers and doctors go to school and do internships.  They'd
just have to pass their board exams.