PNUG feedback?

James Lee Bell plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:33:34 -0700

Bob George wrote:

>>Sheesh, guys!  You do realize that Netware hasn't been wearing that IPX
>>albatross for several years, don't you? For more than 3 years, IP has
>>been the base protocol for Netware, since 5.0 came out. Now 6.0's out
>>with some interesting features. [...]
>>
>Yes, but IPX just... never... seems... to... go... away... Most shops I've
>been into that still have NetWare servers seem to have just enough IPX
>running to keep life interesting. Something it would be good to keep in mind
>if we're tempted to say how easy it is to replace servers. I know Linux can
>do IPX too, but there's a lot to it.

Yeah, I've been in a couple over the last few years that totally ditched
Netware in favor of windows nt *because* (or so they claimed) of the
hell they claimed to have had with IPX in their networks. Then you find
out they just implemented switches in their networks, and went past 10
half. Same people look at you blankly when you ask if they had ever
dealt with netbeui/bios storms. ;-)

Anyway, regardless of the fact that I got stability and uptimes on
Netware boxes that would make linux people sit up and take notice, the
real star is NDS or eDirectory or whatever they're calling it nowadays.
And the coup of having the NDS engine capable of running on Solaris,
Unix, NT, and finally Linux should have catapulted them.

>I wish Novell HAD done better. Hell, I was ECNE/CNI. I guess I still am.

Hope they still do. They're making a lot of good moves tech wise, and
they're the darlings of a few in the industry (I've seen ridiculous
levels of gush in some sectors over netware 6), but it'll be interesting
to see if they can ever overcome the marketing prowess of ms.