cox.net FYI

Adrian Mink plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:46:01 -0700

I would recommend a product called freesco. You can find it at
www.freesco.org, a floppy based router/firewall. It is insanely easy to set
up, just follow the prompts. Only needs a 486 or low end Pentium with 8-16
megs and two NICS.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Lisa
Winkler
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 11:09 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: cox.net FYI

I have been using 2 @home ips.  They stopped working yesterday.  I couldn't
reach a DHCP server, so I couldn't get a cox ip.

I finally got through to tech support (the wait is 1.5 hours) and the guy
told me to plug the modem directly into the computer instead of going
through the hub.  I know this is on their standard list of things to tell
the user to do and explained to the guy that it wouldn't solve anything if
the DHCP server was unreachable.  Finally I agreed to do it anyway.  I was
connected instantly!

The t.s. guy explained that the software on their DHCP server (it's probably
running windows!) is having problems when the modem reports that there are 2
different MAC addresses behind it.  Apparently when this happens it just
refuses to respond to my request.  He says they are working on it, doesn't
know when it will be fixed, but until it is you won't be able to have 2
computers with real-world IPs connected because if they are both up at the
same time the DHCP server will refuse to assign them ips.  I guess this is
my official kick in the ass to try to get NAT working (instead of a bridge
as I am currently using).

Anyway, just a public service in case anyone else is dead in the water but
still reading mail!

Lisa