Traffic Shaper

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:55:20 -0700

"Eric Thelin" <eric@thelin.org> wrote:

> I need to limit the bandwidth usage to a range of IPs or if I can't do
> just a range then a whole network interface.  This is for a webserver
> that is colocated and taking too much traffic from a certain IP range.
> I have looked at the traffic shaper modules and shapecfg but they only
> mention compatibility with 2.0 and 2.1 kernels but I am running on 2.4.
> I think the QoS work has superseded that module also but I can't find
> much in the way of documentaion for it.  Has anyone used these modules
> and if so can you help me setup a simple example?

Eric, a quick follow-up:

1. I'm using kernel 2.4.17, and have compiled shaper support in as a module.
2. apt-get install shaper
3. insmod shaper
4. shapecfg attach shaper 0 eth1
5. ip addr add dev shaper0 192.168.2.2
6. ifconfig shaper0
shaper0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet addr:192.168.2.2  Mask:255.255.255.0
          [NO FLAGS]  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

That's as far as I've taken it (need to think about a test scenario) but it
appears to work with this kernel. I'll let you know if I'm able to do much
more with it.

- Bob