Robot Wars was antagonistic behavior

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:42:35 -0700

> > Plus who needs those _wussy_ indoor arenas.  Let's run our stuff in a
> > demolition derby ring laid out in the desert.
>
> For starters... then I think we need to also have other types of
> competition... Areal dogfight, water-wars, and sub-teranian seek and
> destroy ;-)

All in good time.

But to start we have the Marines dig a pit near Yuma.  To honor the region it
should be eliptical so that it vaugely resembles a Pre-ColumbianMesoamerican
or Southwestern ball court.

As soon as flying bots or missles are allowed we put netting up around the
pit.

This will also allow for more stringent out of bounds rules.

-- Any robot out of bound will be disqualified.  At the discretion of the
game officials its continued activity may be stopped by any means neccessary.

> but seriously, it needs  a kill switch.

Agreed.

-- All robots must respond to the on-off signal broadcast by the officials.

-- Any robot that fails to respond to an off signal issued by an official can
be rendered inoperative by any means neccessary.

("...rendered inoperative by any means neccessary."  This gives the Marines
some target practice and adds specticle to the tournament.)

-- Competitors will forfeit the match if they mimic or in any way issue the
all-on or all-off command reserved for the officials.

-- Notwithstanding any other rule forbiding remote commands after the start
of a match, it shall be legal for a team to send their robot or robots an off
or an on command at any time.

-- It is the responsibility of competing teams to secure any telemetry to or
from their robot(s).

-- It is explicitly *legal* to hack the on-off command or other telemetry of
a robot representing another team and thereby cause any behavior whatsoever
(except that it cause injury to people, livestock, wildlife, or flora)
including behavior that may cause the hacked robot or its team to be
penalized or disqualified.