gphoto2

Rusty Carruth Plug watcher plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:16:09 -0700 (MST)

> Is anyone familar with gphoto? I'm tryint to download some pics I took
> with a Kodak DC280.
> I'm typing in the following command:
> gphoto2 --camera "Kodak DC280" --port usb: --list-folders
> and getting the following error
>
> Folders in /:
> *** Error ('Could not find the requested device on the USB port') ***
> The following message is the last internal error message.
> This message may currently still be unrelated to the real error:
>
> Could not find USB device (vendor 0x40a, product 0x130). Make sure this
> device is connected to the computer.
>
> For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
>
> I know my kernal supports USB and I have hotplug because my mouse is a
> USB mouse.
>
> I don't know digital cameras too well or gphoto so could use any advise
> you can give me thanks.

I use non-usb gphoto(1), but am on the gphoto-devel mailing list, where I see
this:

Oh, by the way:  you have USB support for the DC-280 already
in gPhoto ... use the kernel 'dc2xx' driver, and tell gphoto
to use /dev/usb/dc2xx0 instead of some serial line.

The info at http://home.pacbell.net/david-b/digicam/ is still
pretty accurate last time I checked.  The DC-240 and DC-280
were the first cameras to have USB support in gPhoto.

- Dave

also I see:

> Now... just one more question.  What do I need to give a normal user
> access to be able to use the usb interface?  I gave myself access to
> everything under /dev/usb/ but I can still only use it as root.  Of
> course this is just a minor annoyance.

Use the "devmode=0666" mount option for usbdevfs.  Some versions
of RedHat won't pick that up from /etc/fstab, and some kernels in
the 2.4.2...2.4.4 range (I forget which) had a bug where such mount
options got dropped, so you might need to deal with tose issues.

- Dave

Oooh - here's one that looks good:

The second attempt at a command is:
$ gphoto2 --camera "Kodak DC290" --port usb:/dev/usb/dc2xx9 --list-folders -n

Hope one of these helps (assuming you've not already gotten it fixed!

rc