Setting speed on a network card

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:58:32 -0700

Probably done by adding an option to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.
I think the option might be driver dependant as to whether it will support it.

man ifconfig:

       media type
              Set the physical port or medium type to be used  by
              the  device.   Not all devices can change this set-
              ting, and those that can vary in what  values  they
              support.  Typical values for type are 10base2 (thin
              Ethernet), 10baseT (twisted-pair 10Mbps  Ethernet),
              AUI  (external transceiver) and so on.  The special
              medium type of auto can be used to tell the  driver
              to  auto-sense  the  media.  Again, not all drivers
              can do this.