xhost question

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:58:54 -0700

If this is on an internal LAN at home then I would think that you could connect
without having to use ssh.  My systems here all accept connections, but only
from other 10.0.0.X boxes and ignore 10.0.0.1 (Gateway).  Switched Network, so
no one can listen to anyone elses connection without root access to the machines
(which only I have :) )

assuming on the firewall/masq box:
1) rejects any incoming from the Net
3) accepts connections from the internal LAN and makes sure that the return IP
is an internal network IP 10.0.0.x

Other boxes would probably just want 2 & 3, but change the eth<x> reference
2) rejects any connection attempts from the firewall (in case of compromised
system).

1) /sbin/ipchains -A input -p TCP -i eth0 --dport 6000:6010 -j REJECT
2) /sbin/ipchains -A input -p TCP -i eth1 --dport 6000:6010 -s 10.0.0.1/32 -j
REJECT
3) /sbin/ipchains -A input -p TCP -i eth1 --dport 6000:6010 -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j
ACCEPT

Not the best, but should hopefully work with little modification.