Killing X server using ctrl-alt-bksp screws up eth0???

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 Feb 2002 07:31:53 -0700

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 00:14, Lisa Winkler wrote:
> Well, I don't remember exactly which card is in there (I seem to go through NICs like other people go through socks) but dmesg says:
>
> Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre8 (Oct 11, 2001)
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:09.0
> eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 32
>
> I suppose I could recompile my kernel with a couple of the different modular drivers that might work.  I was thinking of doing that anyway, just procrastinating.
>
> But the bigger question I have is, why would killing the X server have any effect on a NIC driver (on the kernel itself) ??  Maybe there is something else wrong here...

----
IRQ 5 is a normal location for a sound card - Perhaps it isn't about
killing the X server, perhaps it's about not managing the sound
interrupt that created a problem when X was launched.

Typically, if you have a plug and play network card, if you move it to a
different slot, you can move it to another PCI slot and it will find an
unused IRQ and the OS should have no problem making the switch.

Craig