VMWare

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:35:50 -0700

Victor Odhner wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, John (EBo) David wrote:
> > try VNC...  that will basically replace the KVM.
> > About 4 years ago I had VNC running on my home LAN
> > between Solaris, Linus, and WinNT.
>
> Patrick Fleming EA wrote:
> > Unless the bios won't allow you to over ride the
> > keyboard and mouse halt errors. Then you either
> > have to plug in an extra keyboard and mouse, or
> > boot on the KVM switch.
>
> Right.  If there is any situation that will
> require my plugging in a keyboard and monitor
> (e.g., network trouble), then VNC is not very
> attractive to me.  (X2VNC rocks if you want to
> use a single keyboard and mouse to control both
> your Windows and Linux monitors.)
>
> As it is, once I get the Debian box going, I will
> be using two keyboards and two monitors since a
> two-port KVM with cables costs close to $100
> which I ain't got.

is the problem that you have an extra keayboard and machine somewhere or
that it is sitting on the desk?   Even if you have an old machine that
requires the mouse and keyboard to be attached at boot you still can
throw them all in a corner and use a single monitor and keyboard on your
desk...

  EBo --