VMWare

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:03:29 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, John (EBo) David wrote:

> Victor Odhner wrote:
> >
> > Now it's up to $299.  You can buy a whole extra computer for that.
> > Did Microsoft buy them out or something?
>
> ouch... thier stock holders herd that ;-)
>
> > My need is to run Linux and Windows.  Maybe VMWare would be a
> > good deal if I wanted to run three or four guest systems, but
> > it sure can't be justified for one.
> >
> > I've got an old Pentium 166 that will run Linux just fine.
> > I'll keep my hot machine for Windows, move Linux to the old
> > box (already set up with Debian), and get a KVM when I can
> > afford one.
>
> try VNC...  that will basically replace the KVM.  About 4 years ago I
> had VNC running on my home LAN between Solaris, Linus, and WinNT.

Unless the bios won't allow you to over ride the keyboard and mouse
halt errors. Then you either have to plug in an extra keyboard and mouse,
or boot on the KVM switch. I have gone back and forth between using VNC
and KVM depending upon what I need. The Windows VNC server doesn't render
all that well.