Q: location of Was: VMWare

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 00:02:40 -0700

Steve Smith wrote:

> Ohhh... as you've noticed, workstation 2.x won't build the modules under
> RH 7.2.  I periodically pestered them about it, then forgot it when I
> got my copy of 3.0.  They told me a couple of times that they'd have
> pre-built modules available "soon".  They'd be here:
> http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules_ws.html#204 when they
> finally do.

downloaded them last night and nope... still no workie.  Well, I even
hacked the vmware driver code so that I could get it to compile, however
it then could not find some modules.  I then went about compiling a new
kernal, etc. etc...

well, at this point I'll twiddle with it a little more, but I am more
likely to install VNC on one of the other office machines and share the
source via samba, etc. than I am to spend another $100 on a VMWare
upgrade.  Of course if they are willing to *give* me the upgrade then I
would spend a few days getting it working, but that is unlikely to
happen.  No, at this point I think I am just a disgruntled customer
unlikely to ever buy, use, or promote thier product again.

> Got anything still running RH 7.1 to test on?

no... never had.  I started this machine on SuSE 6.1 and upgraded to
6.3, 7.0, 7.1 and then decided to try out RH.  I can however reboot the
machine to SuSE 6.3/7.1 though...  But then again, the Linux tools I am
using for the cross platform work (Qt 3.0.1, etc.) require a bunch of
stuff that cause me to just make it easy on myself and upgrade the OS.
So now I can either use VMWare on an old OS or run my cross platform
tools, but not both at the same time... wait a minuite, that is exactly
what I got VMWare to do!...

do you see my point?