Num Lock

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:24:40 -0700

Found this also:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/resource/res_aolm-faq.html#2.5

2.5 How can I set NUMLOCK to be on at boot time?

       This question really has two answers. One applies to consoles and the
other to the X Window System.

       For console ttys: add the following to the end of your startup script
'/etc/rc.d/rc.local' :

       INITTTY=/dev/tty[1-12]
       for tty in $INITTTY; do
       setleds -D +num <$tty
       done

       (Note that this is straight from the man page for setleds.)

       For X, you need to edit the file '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/types/basic'.
The last section of the file is the "KEYPAD" section and looks like:

       type "KEYPAD" {
       modifiers = Shift+NumLock;
       map[None] = Level1;
       map[Shift] = Level2;
       map[NumLock] = Level2;
       map[Shift+NumLock] = Level1;
       level_name[Level1] = "Base";
       level_name[Level2] = "Number";

       To set NUMLOCK on by default, simply change every occurrence of "Level1"
to "Level2" and change every occurrence of "Level2" to "Level1" (without the
quotes). Then restart X. Note that the behavior of the NUMLOCK light will change
as well (i.e. the light will be lit when NUMLOCK is OFF and will be dark when
NUMLOCK is ON).