Wireless access confusion

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:27:20 -0500

At one point in the several recent home wireless networking discussions, there was mention of security concerns (of course).

Someone said that, because WEP security is so weak, the access point should be placed outside the firewall so that hackers could not get to the internal network.  That leads me to quesitons:

How does one connect such a setup?

My DSL modem connects directly to my firewall.  The firewall also provides NAT and DHCP to the internal computers.  How do I connect the access point between the DSL modem and the firewall and still have the wireless connected computers get DHCP and NAT from the firewall?

And, doesn't that mean the wireless connected computers are no longer protected behind the firewall?

If WEP is not secure, how do I prevent my neighbors (and hackers) from using my bandwidth?

I am confused.  There is bound to be lots of info on the web to answer my quesitons.  I haven't looked yet.  Just tell me where to go if you want.  ;^)

Alan