Downtown Users Group

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
31 Dec 2002 16:26:29 -0700

--=-trP22NRUczrt2RVD2Z2F

> I would suggest that the name be kept under the PLUG banner like we do fo=
r the
> "East Side Meeting" or "West Side Meeeting" or "Devel Meeting."  It would=
 be
> the "PLUG Downtown Meeting" or "PLUG Lunch Meeting" or "PLUG Downtown Lun=
ch
> Meeting."

Unfortunately my ideology prevents me from calling it "Linux" users
group.  Flame me as you like.

> Unless, of course, you really want to start a new group.  That is up to y=
ou
> but fragmentation is not always a good thing.

There is no intention to fragment. I have spoken with Jim and Hans in
the past about this.  I would expect it to really be nothing more than
another PLUG meeting location. (dont expect to see its own website,
mailing lists, etc)  The only difference is instead of the 'downtown'
meeting.  It would be the the MC GLUG meeting. ;)  Much like the
"Stammstisch" (sp) doesnt attribute anyting directly to PLUG.

For those wondering its not a GNU thing.  I just want to make sure the
emphasis of the meetings there are not on 'open source' or 'linux' but
rather free software.  Having GNU in the name merely forces you to
explain freedom if someone asks what it means.=20

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org