unreachable host

Garrett Ellis plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:21:53 -0700

Pete,

The D-Link is acting as a DHCP server, and any device which gets an IP from
it cannot ping your other boxes? Is the D-link giving out 192.168.0/24
addresses? Also, when you try to ping the Linux machine from your Windows
box(es), are you pinging by IP or by hostname? Windows hosts on the same
subnet can resolve each other by hostname but unless you 1) provide name
resolution services for your network or 2) run Samba, your Windows hosts
will not know the name of your Linux machine and will only be able to
successfully ping it by IP.

Also, you said you have port forwarding on your linux host. Are you running
packet-filters? If so, is your linux host rejecting ICMP packets on eth1?
Ping uses ICMP, and if your Linux box blackholes or rejects it, it will seem
as though nothing can ping. This might be the case if computers coming
through your wireless LAN can get to the Internet but can't ping the gateway
which forwards their traffic.

Also, check the cable type used to connect your WAP to eth1. You might need
a crossover to go straight from the NIC to the WAP, or you might not. It's
definitely worth checking, though. Connectivity from the WAP to eth1 should
probably be verified first before exploring anything else I suggested in
this note.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,
Garrett