unreachable host

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
29 Dec 2002 18:08:23 -0800

Indeed I still could use help!

Going from the external side inward:
DSL router connected to 3 boxes: 2 XP and my Linux
My Linux has 2 ethernet cards, eth0 and eth1.
Eth0 is the external and has a fixed IP;
eth1 is internal and is 192.168.0.10;
eth1 connects to the d link router, a wireless access point with 4 port
hub;
eth1 has port forwarding enabled;
the d link is ip 192.168.0.2 and I have the configuration as if the
assigned ip address is 192.168.0.3 from the isp.
gateway is assigned as .10, my eth1 address.
the d link is also acting as a dhcp server for the wifi and lan devices
connected thru its hub. Therefor the 2 laptops can connect to the
internet, and they can see each other, but I cannot see the linux box
via ping, ftp or as web server.

Not concerned with the XP boxes. Just trying to get the laptops that are
connected to the D Link to access my main linux box, 192.168.0.10.

Everything off eth1 is 192.168.0.x.

I tried setting up the D Link with the virtual device settings per the
help. That is,  a virtual ftp server as well as web giving the .10
address of my main linux box. But that doesn't seem to work.

I have suspicions that it's the linux side that is having an issue,
since I can do a status of the system from the linux admin web page and
it shows it sees the windows 2000 box and gives its name, but it can't
get the name off the linux laptop! Yet when I reboot laptop2 (dual boot
box from work) it sees the name. Still can't ping the 0.10 box however
from either laptop.

I figure it's the setup in the D Link more than anything else.
D Link DI-614+ is the device.

Thanks for taking a shot at it!