OT: recommended home network installer

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:50:26 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Our new house came (mostly) pre-wired with cat-5 and cable going to most
> rooms.  I say "mostly", though, because the cat-5 was never connected into
> any switch in the OnQ section and one room never got any wiring at all.
> Since that room happens to be my main computer room, it's the one room that
> really needs it.
>
> So what I need is some outfit that can come out and do the following:
> 1. Install two net cat-5 wires (one each for network and phone) into an
> existing room.
> 2. Setup my OnQ box to have all rooms be networked
>
> I know I could go with the company that installed the system in the first
> place... but I wasn't very impressed when I talked to them and their prices
> seemed a bit high.  I was hoping that others on this list would have had
> some work like this done on their house and would have recommendations on
> good local companies.

My Dad did the wiring in this house, so I don't have any recommendations for
someone to do that.  OnQ box?  I'm guessing this is basically a patch panel and
you need a hub/switch to hook the connections to?  That part is very easy to do.
  I maintain the patch panel/wiring at my current job.

Found this link while looking for OnQ
http://www.onqtech.com/catalog/netup.html