USB scanner interfering with WLAN?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:35:06 -0500

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:37:57 -0700 Kurt Granroth <kurt@granroth.org> wrote:
> I just got an Epson 1650 USB scanner.  It works
> great with both the "normal"
> sane packages and the Epson provided tools.
> However, I noticed that
> whenever I initiate a scan, my wireless network
> on that computer goes down.
> I can still ping to hosts on my normal ethernet
> network.. but nothing gets
> through my wlan0 one.  I am using the
> prism2_pci with a linksys pci card.
>
> I did a decent amount of searching on the topic
> but came up with nothing.
> Anybody else experience this or (better yet)
> have a solution?

I don't have an answer but I am intrigued.

Does the wlan connection go down from actual "radio" interference from the
scanner or because of some USB-NIC conflict.  In other words, can the scanner
operate on a different computer and not break the wlan connection on the
original?  Or, if you operate the scanner, attached to a different computer
but still next to the wlan connect one, does the wlan connection go down?  If
that is true, the scanner is spitting out 2.4GHz noise to the air, messing up
the wlan connection.  I am not sure how you could fix that!

Alan