OT: recommended home network installer

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:07:37 -0500

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 11:44:14AM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
/_Our new house came (mostly) pre-wired with cat-5 and cable going to most
/_rooms.  I say "mostly", though, because the cat-5 was never connected into
/_any switch in the OnQ section and one room never got any wiring at all.
/_Since that room happens to be my main computer room, it's the one room that
/_really needs it.
/_
/_So what I need is some outfit that can come out and do the following:
/_1. Install two net cat-5 wires (one each for network and phone) into an
/_existing room.
/_2. Setup my OnQ box to have all rooms be networked
/_
/_I know I could go with the company that installed the system in the first
/_place... but I wasn't very impressed when I talked to them and their prices
/_seemed a bit high.  I was hoping that others on this list would have had
/_some work like this done on their house and would have recommendations on
/_good local companies.
/_--
Kurt:
I was faced with wiring my new home last year; but as it is a 2 story
with high ceilings I decided to go wireless. I was a General Contractor
for 20 years as certainly wasn't opposed to running any wires, but the thought
of having every inch of my house wired sounded quite appealing. I have not looked
back since and would not even bother with the cost of Cat5 in any future projects.

Just something to think about.

v/r
-Mike