The Dreaded TFTP error 2 (Access Violation)

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:07:55 -0700

---------------------------
Origional Post

>On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 16:40, George Gambill wrote:
>>

>> /var/log/messages =
>> Dec 20 15:54:09 nowhere dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:5a:82:b6:5d via
eth0
>> Dec 20 15:54:09 nowhere dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.100.151 via eth0
>> Dec 20 15:54:09 nowhere dhcpd: DHCPREQUETS for 192.160.100.151
>> (192.168.100.66) from 00:04:5a:82:b6:5d via eth0
>> Dec 20 15:54:09 nowhere dhcpd: DHCPPACK on 192.168.100.151 to
>> 00:04:5a:82:b6:5d via eth0
>>
>> These 4 lines repeat about every 4 seconds (till I kill the client) which
is
>> the cycle time for the Client to retry.
>-----
>If it can sucessfully lease an ip address...you are dead in the water. I
>believe that DHCPACK means that it is leased but to double check...
>less /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases or use webmin to check leased addresses
>to confirm that you do have an address AND that it is is indeed
>192.168.100.151 (I am presuming that the typos above are because you
>typed this and not because you actually copied and pasted this info.
>-----
>>
>> Notice, in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file the mac address is in all upper case.
>> But it seems to work.
>>
>> /var/log/security =
>> Dec 20 15:54:09 nowhere xinetd[621]: START: tftp pid=902
>> from=192.168.100.151
>>
>> This line also repeats at the same time periods as does /var/log/message
but
>> with a different pid.
>>
>-----
>This tells me that you got an ip address leased and that it indeed
>communicated with the tftp server.
>
>last|less should show when the connection was made (if it was made) to
>the tftp server - my guess is that it will show up there.

last|less shows only two lines for today and they are:
   "root  tty2  ..."
   "reboot  system boot  2.4.18-14  ..."

Nothing from 192.168.100.151
I think this might be a clue  8-(

>-----
>>
>> >if you aren't going to use dns...is /etc/nsswitch.conf gonna allow that?
>>
>> >hosts:	files nisplus dns
>>
>> Good thought, that line now reads "#hosts:	files nisplus dns" (no
>> quotes)
>-----
>the '#' means that it is commented out and not active...the line s/b
>hosts		files nisplus dns

Tried it with the above line commented out and with it active. last|less
stills shows nothing about 192.168.100.151

>-----
>>
>> One more thing I hate to mention but should.  I have come to understand
that
>> RH8 brings tftp with it.  I didn't know that and didn't see it.
Therefore,
>> I downloaded a internet copy and installed (I think) it with tar.  I am
>> wondering if that haste may have done bad things.  I am tempted to
reformat
>> the HD and reinstall knowing what I know now.  Got no problem with that.
>> What do you thing???
>>
>-----
>can't see how 'reformat' / reinstall is gonna fix this.
>
>it shouldn't matter whether tftp was installed via tarball or redhat rpm
>UNLESS (and this may be significant) it was distributed as a binary and
>compiled with an unsupported compiler.
>
>'which tftpd'
>should tell you where it is and you can simply delete it and then
>install redhat's either from cd or using up2date if you wish. If you do
>this, you will probably want to remove /etc/xinetd/tftpd before you
>install the redhat rpm (and of course, edit the new file - disable =
>no).

The command 'which tftpd' shows: /usr/bin/which: no tftpd in
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
:/root/bin)

This surly means something.

>Seems as though this is where your problem is...
>
>make sure that 'everyone' has read access to /tftpboot and any files
>contained therein...
>
>ls -l /
>ls -l /tftpboot
>
>-rw-r--r--
>       ^     this is the important bit for tftpboot - I have to believe
>that because the nature of tftp is anonymous, this would be essential.
>'chmod' o+r /tftpboot -R
>should take care of any permission issues

ls -l /   shows drwxr-xr-x for tftpboot

ls -l /tftpboot   shows drwxr-xr-x for lts

ls -l /tftpboot/lts   shows -rw-r-xr-x

>I have no experience whatsoever with ltsp but I have to believe that
>they run mail lists which might give you better answers.

Found it and Just found the archives.  Haven't yet found a message directly
relating to this error.  Haven't yet found how to post to it.  Bumped into
Christmas.  Will continue there after Christmas.

Thanks again for your help.  If you see something obvious in the above, I
will be most appreciative of further suggestions.

... snip

Please (all) do me a favor, have a Merry Christmas.

George