Linux flavor help......

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:10:29 -0500

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:00:19 -0800 (PST) Tuxgroupie <tuxgroupie@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I'm still somewhat a newbie to the Linux world
> but I'm moving forward rapidly. I am currently
> establishing a Linux box at home for some
> serious training. I would very much like to
> hear some opinions from users as to what a good
> "flavor" for me to start out with would be. I
> hear pros and cons about them all. I have
> narrowed it down to Red Hat, SuSe or Mandrake.
>  Thanks in advance.

(flame retardant suit on...)

1. Use the distro that your friend(s)/guru uses.  That way you can get
reliable help.
2. If you don't have friends or gurus handy, us a distro supported by you
local LUG.  Any of the three you mention are well supported here.
3. Other than that, us the distro that suits your needs or what you want to
learn.

debian is very "free as in speech" and has a good update system.

gentoo "self compiles" on your computer so it is pretty techie but ends up
customized to your system.

Both of these also have fans here in PLUG.  The three you mentioned are
good-all-around distros.

redhat (the name) is known to most corporate management and can be accepted
into the workplace because of that recognition.  That is why I use it.

Which ever you pick, you will find a wealth of information right here to help
you over any bumps!

Alan