/.journal ... whazzat?

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:58:30 -0700

On the other hand, I bet if you deleted that file (move it somewhere else=
,=20
where you can retrieve it later) everything will be okay. You shouldn't b=
e=20
able to see the journal file. But 33 mb is about right, that's what my fi=
le=20
systems showed as being used before I started dumping stuff on them.

Am 20 Freitag, Dezember 2002 11:23 schrieb Lynn David Newton:
> I just discovered a 33MB file in my root directory
> named /.journal, dated March 26 of this year, which
> would have been about the time I upgraded to RH 7.2
> (from 7.1) which is probably also the time I converted
> to ext3 filesystems. I'm guessing this file is some
> sort of object that keeps the now-journaled filesystem
> in order, but I don't know that. Can someone identify
> this file for me and give a high-level explanation of
> what it does?
>
> If it's what it appears to be, that's a pretty hefty
> piece of disk size to sacrifice to ext3. Wouldn't want
> to live without jfs, though.
>
> There is no such file in /home, which is mounted and
> also type ext3, so I suppose if this thing is
> journaling overhead, it must be designed to handle all
> slices on the local system. (That's a question in the
> form of a hypothesis.)
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.

- --=20
Nathan England

plug  at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
- --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov